The Regulatory Centre for Irish Sign Language Interpreters Ireland CLG has been established for the purpose of maintaining the Register of Irish Sign Language Interpreters (RISLI), a voluntary, national, professional register.
The registration system is referenced in the 2017 Irish Sign Language Act (referred to as an ‘accreditation scheme’) and the National Disability Inclusion Strategy 2017 – 2021.
RISLI aims to:
- Establish and maintain a standards-based registration system for Irish Sign Language Interpreters to ensure protection primarily for the Deaf community and service providers.
- Set the standards for the provision of Irish Sign Language interpreting that all public bodies require.
- Support public bodies through access to a public register of interpreters.
- Support professional Irish Sign Language interpreters to meet and maintain standards.
- Promote social inclusion of Irish Sign Language users by supporting the use of registered interpreters including access to public bodies.