The Regulatory Centre for Irish Sign Language Interpreters Ireland CLG has been established for the purpose of maintaining the Register of Irish Sign Language Interpreters (RISLI), a voluntary, national, professional register.
The registration system is referenced in the 2017 Irish Sign Language Act (referred to as an ‘accreditation scheme’) and the National Disability Inclusion Strategy 2017 – 2021.
RISLI aims to:
- protect users of interpreting services through a standards-based registration system
- set and ensure adherence to standards for the provision of ISL by public bodies
- support public bodies to facilitate the use of professional ISL services so the Deaf community can exercise their rights and entitlements
- support professional ISL interpreters to meet and maintain standards
- promote social inclusion of ISL users including access to public bodies